Plans & Services
1. How do I send an International SMS?
You can send an SMS by inserting the recipient's number as follows;
+44 xxx xxx xxx
2. What are the countries I could send an SMS to?
An international SMS could be sent to anyone, anywhere in the world.
3. How much do I get charged for an international SMS?
You will be charged only Rs. 5/- + VAT (Local SMS rate) for each SMS sent.
4. Will I get charged for the SMS I receive?
No, you will not be charged for a SMS received.
5. Whom can I contact in case I need assistance?
You can call the Mobitel Hotline on +94 714 555 555
1. How do I activate roaming on my SIM?
Every Pre-paid SIM is roaming pre-enabled. No additional deposit is required.
How do I recharge?
You can recharge through:
2. How can I check my balance while roaming?
Simply dial *100#
3. Will a Pre-Paid out roamer receive the credit available through a USSD message after originating a call?
4. How can roamers contact customer service?
Call the Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555 or the Mobitel Hotline on +94 712 755 777.
1. How do I activate roaming on my SIM?
Visit any Mobitel branch, along with the required refundable deposit of Rs. 25,000/-.
An authorization letter from the company will be required if the connection is under a corporate account.
2. In what form could I keep a deposit?
3. How long do I need to wait to collect my deposit?
Your deposit will be refunded after two billing cycles, after you settle your total bill & the current usage of your account.
4. What is 'CALL HOME'?
Call Sri Lanka at lower rates while roaming.
5. What is ‘SMS HOME’?
SMS Sri Lanka at Rs. 5/- (excluding taxes) while roaming.
6. Is there a limit for my Roaming usage?
Yes. As soon as you reach 75% of your refundable deposit, a customer care executive from Mobitel will
7. If connectivity is disrupted while roaming what shall I do?
8. If I lose my phone what should I do?
Contact Mobitel immediately, as you are liable for all calls made from that SIM.
9. How can I check my usage bill while roaming?
Simply log in to: Mobitel Services Menu * My Mobitel * Mobi Services * Acc Balance
Please note that the balance may not be 100% accurate, as networks may delay sending the usage data to Mobitel.
10. Do I get a detailed bill for Roaming?
Yes. You can get a detailed bill free of charge on request.
11. Can I use My Mobitel, Value Added Services (VAS) when Roaming?
You can use only SMS based Value Added Services while you are roaming, but roaming charges will apply and but charges will vary according to the network you roam with.
12. Whom should I contact if I have any problems while Roaming?
Contact the Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555, or Mobitel Customer Care on +94 712 755 777.
13. How would I know whether a particular network covers the city I am going to, and whether my phone is compatible in the country in which I intend to roam?
You can contact the Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555 and obtain the information.
14. Can I see the number of the caller on the screen while overseas (CLI)?
CLI information is not internationally exchanged and standardized; so, you will not always see your caller number while roaming. However certain networks offer this feature.
15. Can I use SMS while Roaming?
16. Can I use GPRS while roaming?
Yes, all SIMS which are GPRS enabled nationally could use GPRS while roaming in our GPRS roaming networks.
17. Is there any handset (phone) requirement while roaming?
Certain destinations would require different handsets as they rely on different systems.
Renting of compatible phones is available at destination airports.
1. How do I activate GPRS roaming on my SIM?
Simply call the Mobitel Hotline on +94 712 755 777 to activate GPRS services on your SIM. All SIMS that are locally activated for GPRS could be used while roaming in selected countries.View the list of GPRS Roaming countries & networks.
2. Do I have to make a deposit to use GPRS roaming?
No additional deposit would be required for this service.
3. Is accessing GPRS while roaming, any different from accessing GPRS while in Sri Lanka?
No. You can use GPRS as same as you use GPRS service in Sri Lanka.
4. How will I get charged for GPRS?
You are charged for the Kilobytes / Megabytes you use. Charges vary depending on the rates charged by the foreign network operator with whom you select to roam.
5. What are the countries / networks where I can use GPRS roaming?
6. How can roamers contact customer service?
Call Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555
1. How do I activate 3G roaming on my SIM?
If you have voice roaming activated on your Post-Paid SIM you can use 3G roaming on our partner networks with your 3G handset. And you can take advantage of these benefits:
2. How do I use 3G roaming?
Select dual mode on your mobile phone (process of selection varies according to different handsets), to access 3G.
3. Do I get a separate detailed bill for 3G Roaming?
All your usage details including 3G roaming details are included in the same Post-Paid detailed bill.
4. How can I get details of network coverage, phone compatibility, charging information or any other assistance while roaming?
You can contact the Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555 and obtain information.
5. How much do I get charged for a Video call in the roamed network?
Charges vary by network. For more details, contact the Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555.
1. How do I activate roaming on my SIM?
2. Do I have to keep a deposit to activate this service?
No. Activating SMS Roaming is absolutely free.
3. How do I send text messages while I'm Roaming?
You have to send it as:
Country code + Mobile number
For example, +94 714 555 555
4. How much will I be charged for my SMSs on SMS roaming?
Rates vary between destinations and networks on which you roam.
Call Mobitel Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555 for more details.
5. What are the services I can make use of while on SMS roaming?
Once you have SMS roaming activated on your SIM, your voice calls (incoming & outgoing calls), will get barred until you deactivate the service. But you can make use of SMS Home, and any other SMS based services.
1. What is in-flight roaming?
The ability to use the mobile inside a flight in selected flights
2. How can you activate Mobily in-flight roaming service?
The service is activated automatically. You can check whether the aircraft boarded offers In-flight roaming service. The service is available on limited aircrafts with selected Airlines carriers.
3. How can you find out if the aircraft boarding offers the service?
The flight attendant will announce if the aircraft offers In-flight roaming before the plane takes off.
How do I activate Broadband Roaming roaming on my SIM?
If you Broadband connection is prepaid;
Broadband roaming is pre-enabled on your SIM. No additional deposit or documentation would be required. You can use this feature on our GPRS roaming enabled pre-paid roaming networks.
You can contact the Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555 for details on rates & feature availability
If you Broadband connection is post-paid;
You could visit any Mobitel branch with the following;
a) Refundable deposit of Rs.25, 000/-
b) Copy of NIC / Passport
a) Letter of authorization from the company
Do I get a separate detailed bill for Broadband Roaming?
All your Broadband Roaming usage details will be included in the broadband bill
How can I get details of the networks I could use broadband roaming?
Roaming can be accessed by connecting to any GPRS roaming network
What rates would be applicable for my broadband roaming usage?
Data roaming charges would apply. You can check the rates by contacting the Roaming Hotline on +94 714 555 555.
What is Maritime roaming?
The ability to use the mobile inside selected cruise ships and ferries
How can you activate maritime roaming service?
If you are a post-paid customer and have roaming activated on your SIM you can enjoy service. Maritime roaming is offered in selected cruises / ferries. You can contact the Mobitel roaming Hotline for further information on the availability of roaming
What services can I use while on board?
You can make & receive calls and send & receive SMS
What rates will be charged for accessing this service?
You can contact the Roaming hotline on +94 714 555 555 to check rates
How can I make a call?
To make a call you have to dial the international prefix ("00" or "+") and the country code before the phone number.
IDD Avurudu Offer
What is the '5 IDD minutes at Rs. 10’ promotion about?
This is an IDD Promotion that offers five (5) IDD outgoing minutes at LKR 10 + taxes for every recharge of LKR 100 made during the period:2nd - 30th April 2013
Who is eligible for this promotion?
This promotion is valid only for Mobitel Prepaid users.
How do I make use of this offer?
To be eligible for this special IDD offer, you must first recharge your account by LKR 100. When you do, you will receive the following SMS.
Reply “IDD” within 1 hour and get 5 mins IDD for only Rs 10. Total deduction (inclusive of per min tax of Rs 3) will be Rs 25. Dial 433 for details.
When you reply “IDD” to the same number you received the SMS from – you are then eligible for this promotion. This entitles you to five  IDD minutes at LKR 10 + taxes, which is a total of LKR 25.
This offer is available for every recharge of LKR 100.
How will I know if my subscription has been successful?
Once you have been subscribed for the IDD Offer, you will receive the following SMS:
Subscription successful! You can now enjoy 5 mins of IDD to 50 destinations. Offer valid for 3 days. Dial 433 for details.
On what recharging methods will I be able to subscribe for these five minutes of IDD at low rates?
You can enjoy this special offer on five IDD minutes for every reload, scratch card and international top up made for every LKR 100.
How much of time do I have to reply to the message in order to subscribe to the promotion?
From the time you receive the message following a recharge of your account, you have one  hour to reply to the message, in order to subscribe.
What happens if I reply after one hour?
You will receive the following SMS, and will not be subscribed to the IDD offer.
Sorry, you have exceeded the 1 hour to subscribe for the IDD offer. To subscribe, recharge Rs100 and reply “IDD” to the SMS you receive. Dial 433 for details.
What are the destinations enabled for this promotion?
This promotion is available for the following 50 destinations.
You can also call 433 for the updated country list.
During what time will this promotion be valid?
This promotion will be valid from the 2nd of April to the 30th of April 2013
For how long will the subscribed five minutes be valid?
The validity period of the subscribed five minutes will be 3 days.